More photos coming soon!!
The Church was probably built around 1250AD when
the main entrance was through the tower. The chancel seems to have been
added in the 13thC. and the south aisle was added in the 14th
century with the porch being added in the 15thC and the south aisle extended in the
18thC to form the Jennens Chapel (which is used as the Vestry).
seems likely that the canopied tomb, sometimes called the Easter Sepulchre, (which once had a brass cross on
it) on the north side of the chancel is the tomb of Sir Andrew DeBures and his son Robert.
1885 at Lord Howe's request a Mr Thynne inspected the tower but said
his "life was not sufficiently insured to go up it in that state" so it
was partially pulled down. When the rest of the building was restored
the tower was left.
major 19thC restoration took place in 1886, by William Milner Fawcett.
The whole church was restored with the exception of the tower and
porch. Acton Park oak was used to remake the roofs, but some earlier
carvings were preserved.
There are many medieval poppy heads on the pew ends (approximately 40) which the Victorians cut the tops off to put candles on in the centre pews, medieval tiles and medieval stained glass in the deBures chapel.
wooden blocks were set in the aisles in Victorian times. The parson
remarked with pleasure in the Acton Parish Magazine that they deadened
"the sound of our honest countrymen's boots". In those days men sat on
one side of the church with women and children on the other, and a man
was hired to patrol and wake up those who nodded off.
We have a unique set of Victorian tiles, and a few remaining medieval tiles.
In 1923 the tower was rebuilt by Browns, the local builders, and the 5 bells were rehung in 1926 by Whitechapel Bell Foundry on an oak frame made by Browns to the Whitechapel design. The total cost at that time was £150.00
Memorials in the Church: the brasses of Sir Richard and Henry de Bures, Dame Alice de Bryene and the Daniels family, and the Jennens monument.
Maintaining the fabric of the church of this age is an ongoing problem.The interior was redecorated by village volunteers in 2015 at a cost of approximately £800.
Melford Road, Acton, Sudbury, Suffolk, CO10 0AB
We try to keep the church open with volunteer stewards, but this is not always possible. Please contact our Churchwardens or phone 01787 377374 or 07732 700104 to check or arrange a convenient time to visit.